Harbour School Sport Council – Student Voice & Leadership
Empower, strengthen and inspire student leadership through sport.
The HSSC was established in 2016 to be the voice and contribute to secondary school sport.
The purpose of the Harbour Sport Student Sport Council is to:
- To improve the communication and understanding of student needs to provide quality sporting opportunities and experiences in secondary schools. • To improve the communication and understanding of student needs to provide quality sporting opportunities and experiences in secondary schools.
- To support the development of leadership skills amongst our student sports leaders
- To create initiatives that support the development of sport in their school and allow more students to access sport and recreation opportunities and have a positive experience.
More details about the Programme:
- Meetings are held once a term:
Term 1 Meeting – Wednesday 18th March, 12.30pm – 2.30pm, Harbour Sport
Term 2 Meeting – Tuesday 19th May, 12.30pm – 2.30pm, Harbour Sport
Term 3 Meeting – Wednesday 5th August, 12.30pm – 2.30pm, Harbour Sport
Term 4 Meeting – Friday 16th October, 12.30pm – 2.30pm, venue TBC
- Schools can select a minimum of 2 students (Years 10 – 13) as representatives on the council
- There is a theme for each meeting to expand current leadership skills and gain knowledge in important areas of sport development.
- Guest speakers will be invited to deliver workshop content in specific areas of sport development.
- Projects are set every year for the council to work collaboratively on and in their own school and community.
- For example, intra-school sport, social sport leagues.
Student led intra-school sport
Youth Week, 9th – 16th May “E korero ana mātou. E whakarongo ana koutou? We’re speaking. Are you listening?”