is Active Families?
Active Families assists whanau that want to make healthier lifestyle changes, improvements or are currently sedentary to become more active, gain nutrition knowledge and become involved in
Active Families aims to improve family’s attitudes toward physical activity through fun physical activity experiences as well as introducing them to healthy food options and teach them to make healthy food choices.
- Aged 5 – 12 years
- Geographical boundaries: West Auckland, North Shore, Rodney and Hibiscus Coast.
- Available to attend activity sessions in either Hillcrest, Henderson or Orewa.
- Currently inactive (less than 5 hours per week).
- Have a stable medical/ mental condition that could benefit from
- Family is ready to make changes to their lifestyle and consents to being referred.
Referrals can be by self-referral, via your general practice team (doctor or practice nurse), or any other health professional.
Upcoming Term Dates
- North: Tuesday 13 October – Tuesday 8 December, 2020
- West: Tuesday 13 October – Tuesday 8 December, 2020
- Coast: Wednesday 14 October – Wednesday 9 December, 2020
- Active Families North: Tuesdays, 4:45pm- 5:45pm at Northcote Baptist Church, Hillcrest.
- Active Families West: Tuesdays, 4:30pm- 5:30pm at West Wave Recreation Centre, Henderson.
- Active Families Coast: Wednesdays, 4:00 pm – 5:00 pm at Orewa Community Centre, Orewa.
Helpful Nutrition Links
Alternately health professionals such as GP’s, Pediatricians or Practice Nurses can refer you, just ask your doctor for more information.
Latest Resources and News
The Latest News
Registrations NOW OPEN! Have fun, get a group together and dress up for the day! There will be spot prizes, competitions and entertainment at the finish line – so bring the whole family! Sunday, 8th November 2020 The Harcourts Cooper & Co Shore to Shore is a 5.9km...
The Tū Manawa Active Aotearoa fund draws on our and Sport NZ’s experiences administering the Kiwisport Regional Partnership Fund and also accesses insights about the impact of COVID-19 on specific groups.
Great news… From Thursday, a wide range of play, recreation and sport activities can resume within level 2.
What if your daily dash around the block could also raise money for a great community cause? We’re calling walkers, runners, cyclists and outdoor lovers of all abilities and ages to the driveway start line. Take part in this awesome virtual event designed to boost...
ACC in collaboration with TVNZ and partners across the health sector, is bringing an exercise programme, called Healthy For Life to our TV screens from this Saturday. This is in response to the fact that older New Zealanders can’t attend community strength and balance...
New guidance has been released about workplace activities at different alert levels. Information addresses some frequently asked questions as well as examples of what each alert level might look like for different kinds of businesses.
Two Awesome Challenges for You to Partake in at Home! Harbour Sport understands that it is currently a difficult time for people to get exercise during this lockdown period! Hence we are excited to introduce the #HSStayHomeChallenge and the #FamilyBubbleChallenge....
Over recent days, we have seen the situation with COVID-19 continue to escalate, with significant travel restrictions implemented by the New Zealand Government. This has widespread implications across every part of our daily interactions, including recreational and...
*** IMPORTANT EVENTS NOTICE *** Due to the continuously evolving situation with COVID-19 Harbour Sport staff have been advised to follow Government and the Ministry of Health recommendations regarding limiting non-essential contact in order to limit the spread of...