Active for Life - Green PrescriptionBe Physically Active, as part of Your Health Management. The Smart and Cost-effective way to Help you stay Healthy.
Motivating Adults to Keep Healthy and Active
What is Active for Life – Green Prescription?
The Active for Life programme is a free 3-month health and wellness programme delivered by Harbour Sport. It aims to increase physical activity and improve the nutrition of adults aged 18 years and over. Healthy Lifestyle Advisors provide individuals with support and motivation to become independently active with the ultimate goal to improve health.
What does the service include?
- Face to Face healthy lifestyle consultations provided at Auckland Council Leisure Centres.
- West Wave Pool and Leisure Centre, Henderson
- Glenfield Pool and Leisure Centre
- Stanmore Bay Pool and Leisure Centre
- Albany Pool and Leisure Centre
- Green Prescription exercise classes are available at local Auckland Council Leisure Centre’s at a discounted rate while on the programme
- Goal setting and nutrition advice
- FREE Nutrition seminars
- Facebook support and events
- Monthly follow-ups to support and motivate people to be independently active, eat healthily and live a
- Aged ≥ 18 years.
- Geographical boundaries: North Shore, Rodney, Waitakere and Hibiscus Coast.
- Currently inactive (less than 2.5 hours per week).
- Have a stable medical/mental condition that could benefit from regular physical activity.
- Are at risk of developing a medical condition due to a sedentary lifestyle.
- Ready to make changes to their lifestyle and consents to being referred.
Referrals can be by the general practice team (doctor or practice nurse), or any other health professional.
The goals and objectives of Green Prescription are:
- Encouraging sedentary adults to become independently active.
- Supporting improvements in nutrition.
- Promoting healthier lifestyle choices for adults in Waitakere, North Shore and Rodney regions.
Activities in your Area
Please note: We try to update these Activity Area brochures regularly however some facilities may have changed.
Latest Resources and News
The Latest News
A brand new Auckland College Climbing Series. Their goals are to grow climbing in this age group, as well as providing opportunities for existing climbers. The climbs are set at beginner to experienced levels to cater for everyone. Tell your friends about it, and...
Active for Life - Green Prescription - March 2021What led you to enrol in Green Prescription? "I was a full-time working mum and wife and going into Covid lockdown in 2020 was a real slap in the face as to how I was looking after myself and spending time with my kids;...
Active for Life - Green Prescription - March 2021What led you to enrol in Green Prescription? "My mental health condition and medication I was taking were negatively affecting my diet and overall health and my support worker suggested I give Green Prescription a go."...
Active for Life - Green Prescription - October 2020Background Prior to Green Prescription Natalie only did Pilates once a week to help with her back pain and herniated disc. Natalie's nutrition was average mainly because she didn't put too much thought into what type...
Active for Life - Green Prescription - December 2020Background Prior to joining Green Prescription, Patricia attended an exercise group for women over 65 but struggled with blood sugar levels and found it very hard to limit carbohydrate intake. She attended a Diabetic...
Harbour Sport delivered a Cycling programme to 213 students from Northcote Intermediate school. Cycling skills were initially learnt on the school grounds for approximately 3 hours, after which the children were confident to go out on the road. The Grade 2 training...
Great news… From Thursday, a wide range of play, recreation and sport activities can resume within level 2.
What if your daily dash around the block could also raise money for a great community cause? We’re calling walkers, runners, cyclists and outdoor lovers of all abilities and ages to the driveway start line. Take part in this awesome virtual event designed to boost...
ACC in collaboration with TVNZ and partners across the health sector, is bringing an exercise programme, called Healthy For Life to our TV screens from this Saturday. This is in response to the fact that older New Zealanders can’t attend community strength and balance...
New guidance has been released about workplace activities at different alert levels. Information addresses some frequently asked questions as well as examples of what each alert level might look like for different kinds of businesses.