Active for Life - Green PrescriptionBe Physically Active, as part of Your Health Management. The Smart and Cost-effective way to Help you stay Healthy.
Motivating Adults to Keep Healthy and Active
What is Active for Life – Green Prescription?
The Active for Life programme is a free 3-month health and wellness programme delivered by Harbour Sport. It aims to increase physical activity and improve the nutrition of adults aged 18 years and over. Healthy Lifestyle Advisors provide individuals with support and motivation to become independently active with the ultimate goal to improve health.
What does the service include?
- Face to Face healthy lifestyle consultations provided at Auckland Council Leisure Centres.
- West Wave Pool and Leisure Centre, Henderson
- Glenfield Pool and Leisure Centre
- Stanmore Bay Pool and Leisure Centre
- Albany Pool and Leisure Centre
- Green Prescription exercise classes are available at local Auckland Council Leisure Centre’s at a discounted rate while on the programme
- Goal setting and nutrition advice
- FREE Nutrition seminars
- Facebook support and events
- Monthly follow-ups to support and motivate people to be independently active, eat healthily and live a
- Aged ≥ 18 years.
- Geographical boundaries: North Shore, Rodney, Waitakere and Hibiscus Coast.
- Currently inactive (less than 2.5 hours per week).
- Cleared for exercise by a GP or other health professional
- Are at risk of developing a medical condition due to a sedentary lifestyle.
- Ready to make changes to their lifestyle and consents to being referred.
Referrals can be by the general practice team (doctor or practice nurse), or any other health professional.
The goals and objectives of Green Prescription are:
- Encouraging sedentary adults to become independently active.
- Supporting improvements in nutrition.
- Promoting healthier lifestyle choices for adults in Waitakere, North Shore and Rodney regions.
Activities in your Area
Please note: We try to update these Activity Area brochures regularly however some facilities may have changed.
Latest Resources and News
The Latest News
Harbour Sport supports community development for sport and healthy lifestyles and strives to influence more people to participate in sport and physical activity. Our strategic focus is young people and targeted populations including Maori, Pasifika and East...
A brand new Auckland College Climbing Series. Their goals are to grow climbing in this age group, as well as providing opportunities for existing climbers. The climbs are set at beginner to experienced levels to cater for everyone. Tell your friends about it, and...
Active for Life - Green Prescription - July 2021What is your background with health and fitness like? Samantha use to be a personal trainer, gym manager, and completed a Bachelor of Sport Management. So was very involved in the Health and Fitness Industry. Following...
Active for Life - Green Prescription - June 2021What is your background with health and fitness like? Before joining Green Prescription, Naomi had severe post-natal depression for 3 years and was working a lot. She was struggling more than ever and was going through a...
Active for Life - Green Prescription - June 2021herWhat is your background with health and fitness like? Prior to joining Green Prescription, Dana wasn't very active & needed to lose weight. Danas nutrition was also not the best. How was your journey with green...
Active for Life - Green Prescription - June 2021What is your background with health and fitness like? Prior to joining Green Prescription, Geraldine didn't partake in much exercise and also didn't eat too healthy. How was your journey with green prescription?...
Active for Life - Green Prescription - March 2021What is your background with health and fitness like? Jessie has 3 young children, including a 1 year old, and found that between family and working commitments, often her self-care took a back seat. This included not...
Active for Life - Green Prescription - March 2021What led you to enrol in Green Prescription? "I was a full-time working mum and wife and going into Covid lockdown in 2020 was a real slap in the face as to how I was looking after myself and spending time with my kids;...
Active for Life - Green Prescription - March 2021What led you to enrol in Green Prescription? "My mental health condition and medication I was taking were negatively affecting my diet and overall health and my support worker suggested I give Green Prescription a go."...
Active for Life - Green Prescription - October 2020Background Prior to Green Prescription Natalie only did Pilates once a week to help with her back pain and herniated disc. Natalie's nutrition was average mainly because she didn't put too much thought into what type...